2009年12月27日 星期日

God's hand in our life (Ps.138)

(This is written in support of Liu Xiao Bo)

Coming to the end of the year, we are used to count the graciousness of God, and give thanks to God. Nevertheless, we find hard to sing the hymns of praise and thanksgiving in this moment of time, for our brother, Liu Xiao Bo, is sentenced for 11 years on December 25, 2009. In fact, Liu’s experience is the iceberg. How can we praise God when Liu Xiao Bo is unjustly sentenced? How can we celebrate when our government violates the right of the people?

Psalm 138 is a psalm of praise, but this is not the Psalm without context. It is in the context that God looks upon the lowly (v.6). Who are the lowly? The lowly are not just the poor. Nor are they taking up laborous work. Otherwise, there would not have enemies (v.7-8). The lowly are not the unfortunate, but rather are the people suppressed by the power. Hence, the phrase of that God looks upon the lowly means God’s justice instead of about seeking a well paid job for the lowly. Both God’s justice and solidarity encourage and strengthen the lowly (v.3). The author continues to say that ‘when I walk amid trouble, you grant me life in face of my enemies’ fury.’ (v.7) The Chinese version translates it into that ‘you save my life.’ Which is the appropriate translation? Perhaps, the history of humankind tells us that not so many righteous persons would be saved from being suffered and killed. Neither is Jesus. Therefore, I prefer to the English translation. In fact, the fury of enemies easily makes the lowly scare or fear, for the power can take the life of the lowly away. This is exactly what the Chinese government does on Liu Xiao Bo. No matter whether Liu has committed crime or not, 11 years sentence is enough to make Liu scare. Once you scare, you lose the life, for you no longer have freedom. I never blame people for the lack of courage. Rather I ask for God’s blessing so that I have courage and life in face of my enemies’ fury. Having courage and the power of life does not mean that the lowly would not be killed, but he would not lose his life before being killed. In fact, what makes the enemies scare is not because the lowly could not be hurted, but because the lowly have not lost courage and power of life even in the moment of being killed. This is what has been happened in Jesus’ life.

Even the lowly is killed, verse 8 affirms that ‘God acts as avenger on my behalf.’ The Chinese version is that ‘God will fulfill my concerns.’ These two translations are slightly different, but are related. On the one hand, God will act on my behalf even though I am not able to do. On the other hand, God will fulfill what I intend to achieve. Here, the I is not confined to the existential I, but rather the I is realized in God and in the truth. This is something that the existentialists do not accept, for the I is the most important. However, those who are struggling for the rights of other may understand the phrase- God acts as avenger on my behalf- better. Only in this light, Aung San Syu Kyi can see her life-fulfillment (the peace of her nation) even after her death. I believe that this is also the belief of Liu Xiao Bo and others working for the rights of others. In fact, if we do not have such a belief, I cannot imagine that we can fight for justice, for the road to justice is always discouraging.

Psalm 90 is a witness to God’s everlasting love and faithfulness. We may not be in the similar situation as the author. Despite this, Psalm 90 invites us to have a faith that, firstly, thanksgiving is not only dependent upon what God has fulfilled our prayers, but also is a result of our faith in God. Without the former, the latter can be a projection; likewise, without the latter, our faith in God is too functional. I am not asking that a suffering person gives thanks to God, but this is not ridiculous, for God acts on my behalf and fulfill my concerns. It is the tear with thanksgiving. Thus, thanksgiving is not based on what God has done, but what God will do.

Secondly, thanksgiving is possible even though we are the lowly, because God looks upon the lowly. In Jesus’ life, we see that God not only looks upon, but he is in the midst of the lowly. God’s compassion and justice brings him into action. Jesus’ life has shown us how courage and life can be emerged in the midst of difficulty. We give thanks to God, because we witness to a life that has not been scared by the power of threat. It is a life with hope and strength.

We pray for Liu Xiao Bo, Aang San Sku Kyi and many others so that they have courage and life in this difficult time. At the same time, we proclaim that ‘God acts avenger on our behalf’ (God fulfills my concerns).

沒有留言:

張貼留言